Between air fair, hotels, car rentals, passports, packing etc etc there sure is a lot to do before heading on a trip. The last thing you want to worry about is your home while you are sitting on a beach enjoying the gorgeous sun and a beverage. Consider these tips in order to make sure your home stays safe while you are away on vacation:
The main goal is to make it appear as though someone is still living there. Here are some key points to remember:
- Have lights on automatic timers, including some indoor and outdoor lights
- Hire someone to cut your grass, or shovel the snow while you are away
- Have your neighbor park one of their vehicles in your driveway
- Never broadcast your trip on Facebook or Instagram until after your trip – burglars do monitor social media to look for potential targets.
- Alert your alarm company that you will be going away, and make sure you have someone local they can contact
- Have a friend, family, or neighbor stop by to check on your home to ensure everything is OK. While they are there, have them pick up your mail.
- Make sure to lock all windows and doors – we all are guilty of leaving them unlocked at times, which makes it easy for burglars to gain entrance into your home
The other key tips are to protect your home and possessions against non-human perils.
- Make sure you unplug all your appliances, computers, etc. so they won’t be damaged during a power surge.
- Turn off your water and drain your pipes/toilets. The alternative is to have a friend or neighbor check your home every four days to make sure there are no leaks anywhere and that your heat is working.
- Set your heating or air conditioning to a lower level in order to save money
- Ensure no valuables are left out in the open where someone can easily see them
- Consider purchasing a wireless monitoring device, such as a wireless camera or doorbell you can access online or through your phone
At the end of the day you want to have a nice enjoyable vacation. Following the above steps will help ensure that your home remains safe while you are away.
If you have any questions please don’t be afraid to give us a call at 905-623-4406 and let us help you.